Tuesday 14 April 2015

All the bright places by Jennifer Niven

Many people watched my review of the book which I uploaded to Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-oiX2C5as
So, as I loved the book, I decided it would be good to do a review of it on my blog.

This book is 378 pages long. In those 378 pages you follow the story of Theodore Finch and Violet Markey.

Theodore Finch wants to take his own life. "I'm broken, and no one can fix it."
Violet Markey is devastated by her sister's death. "In that instant we went plowing through the guardrail, my words dies too."

The two troubled teens meet on top of their school bell tower and their relationship blossoms from there.

Violet and her sister, Eleanor, used to have a blog. A lot of Violet's point of views are about how she brings herself to start writing again, thanks to Finches amazing help. However, Finch's point of views include a lot of deeper and darker thoughts.

The thing I love about this book is that Jennifer addressed the subject of suicide. Because of the huge amount development in society today, taboo subjects such as homophobia and self harm are being covered more in books, but I still think suicide is a subject that not many books talk about. This is why I love this book because the subject is talked about and is a major part of the story line. I love how the idea is not just brushed under the carpet after the character meets someone that they like. Through the whole book the idea is present and I think this needs to happen in more books. I feel like the young adult genre is great for covering these topics but other genres are not.

On a lighter note, I love the story line and the characters and as one of my most anticipated books of 2015, it certainly lived up to my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment